- Wholesale Pricing Give Us A Call!
- Expedited Shipping Available Upon Request
- Zero Sales Tax Order Online
- Secure Shopping High Security Checkout
- Availability: In Stock
- Brand: Checkers Safety Group
Summer Special: 4x8 Black - Now $225 each! - We stock our mats and ship within 24 hours!
AlturnaMATS - Ground Protection Mats
The Original Ground Protection Mat
These rugged mats are of 1/2" thick polyethylene so they are virtually indestructible. They withstand vehicles weighing up to 120 tons, bend but do not break and feature a Limited Lifetime Warranty. The mats come drilled in each corner with the option of having two hand holes on each side of the mat for easier handling.
AlturnaMATS and VersaMATS are an environmentally friendly mat as they are made from highly recyclable HDPE material.
- Easily supports 120-ton vehicles
- Rugged 1/2" thick polyethylene
- Bold cleat or oval tread design for great traction whatever the application
- Build a roadway or working platform in minutes
- Leave turf smooth, even in soft conditions
- No more splintered, warped, waterlogged plywood
- Simply hosing down leaves the mats clean
- Available in black, white or translucent
- Mats can be locked together with Turn-A-Links forming a continuous roadway
- Lifetime Limited Warranty
AlturnaMat or VersaMat?
The AlturnaMAT and VersaMAT are a brand name of Checkers which refer to the tread pattern of the mat surface. The performance and product specification are the same. The only difference is the tread pattern where AlturnaMAT uses a Diamond Cleat pattern and VersaMat uses the lower profile and less aggressive flat oblong pattern. Please scroll down for more information.
Why use a ground protection mat?
Composite ground protection matting is designed to protect and stabilize desirable surfaces from damage or degradation due to over use. Using Ground protection mats prevents damage caused by heavy use.
The “Mat-Pak” System for AlturnaMATS
Transporting lawn protection mats efficiently and securely can be difficult without the right equipment. Although the AlturnaMAT system gives good traction for vehicles and pedestrians, they can slide over each other with relative ease. This is good for stacking and handling of the product but not so good for keeping them secure when being transported.
The Mat-Pak system offers a forklift friendly method of transporting and storing the mats safely. It has been designed to fit into the bed of a pick-up and has forklift lifting points along each side so it is easy to store, load and unload.
The mats are secured with ratchet straps to a metal frame, allowing the mats to be moved onto shelving and vehicles securely.
The kit comes complete with;
- 2 x Ratchet Straps
- 2 x “Handi-Hooks” – To assist with moving mats around
- 20 x Single Turn-a-links
- 1 x Storage Rack with four-way forklift access.
- 12 x Ground Protection Mats
Call For Best Mat-Pak Pricing
There are various versions of this kit available, so we advise if you are interested in the Mat-Pak that you contact our sales team directly on (800) 671 9662.
Why are AlturnaMATS and VersaMATS Better Than Using Plywood?
AlturnaMATS and VersaMATS offer superior strength, durability, and protection compared to plywood and other mats. The benefits of using these composite mats over plywood are formidable. Benefits such as being able to re-use them over and over again and a lifetime warranty to back up that use. Extreme load capacity, AlturnaMATS and VersaMATS are designed to disperse up to 120 tons. These mats are recyclable, made from 100 percent recycled plastics and UV stable so they won’t break down over time. Alturna and Versa mats will withstand extreme temperatures, and won’t rot or deteriorate. Alturna and Versa Mats can be connected and interlocked indefinitely. AlturnaMATS have the most aggressive tread on the market, allowing for maximum equipment traction. Plywood has disadvantages not associated with using composite mats and shares none of the benefits listed below.
AlturnaMAT or VersaMAT?Although from a performance specification, AlturnaMATS and VersaMATS are identical, however, they do suit different applications; VersaMATS are better suited to use in areas with higher pedestrian traffic as it has a less aggressive tread pattern that is far easier to walk on and offers superior traction for shoes. It is also suited to maneuvering smaller items such as wheelbarrows or carts but can still be used with heavy equipment if required.
AlturnaMATS are better suited to use in heavy construction areas due to an aggressive tread pattern, offering superior traction to construction vehicles especially in muddy or wet conditions. It is suited to construction, drilling, tree care and landscaping applications. AlturnaMATS have the most aggressive tread pattern available on the market.
The application of your ground mat will determine if you need an AlturnaMATS or VersaMATS. Concrete, asphalt and pavers should use a mat with one side smooth side down. You can also use smooth side up for making turns with track machines. Cemeteries and irrigation companies may use smooth one side also by putting the smooth side up to catch the dirt when digging.
Why Use A Mat With One Smooth Side and One Treaded Side?Mats with one smooth side are desirable when it’s necessary to cover hard non forgiving surfaces such as concrete, asphalt and pavers. Using treaded mats on warm or hot asphalt will leave tread imprints in the asphalt hence using smooth sided mats on asphalt. When making turns with wheeled or track equipment it is more desirable to use a mat with one smooth side facing up. When piling soils or aggregate on top of mats it is very advantageous to use smooth sided mats which make removal much easier.
|Surface Texture||Diamond cleat tread pattern one side, |
smooth on the other.
|Flat oblong tread one side for pedestrian, |
diamond cleat tread pattern on the other.
Smooth also available on one side.
|Available Sizes & Weights||2x4’ - 21.5lbs. |
2x6’ - 32.25lbs.
2x8’ - 44lbs.
3x6’ - 51lbs.
3x8’ - 65lbs.
4x8’ - 86lbs.
|2x8’ - 44lbs. |
3x8’ - 65lbs.
4x8’ - 86lbs.
|Colors Available||Black, White or Translucent||Black, White or Translucent|
|Composition||HDPE (High Density Polyethylene)||HDPE (High Density Polyethylene)|
|Warranty||Limited Lifetime Guarantee||Limited Lifetime Guarantee|
|Weight Load Rating||Varies depending on sub-surface, equipment up to 120 tons||Varies depending on sub-surface, equipment up to 120 tons|
Accessories for AlturnaMATSThe following accessories are available to make using AlturnaMATS and VersaMATS more effective and efficient. Handi-Hook - used to make it easier to maneuver the mats when on the ground. E-Z Links and Turn-a-Links - used to connect mats together. Turn-A-Rack - Steel storage and transport rack system.
Black, White or Translucent?
- Black - Most affordable / cost effective.
- White - More costly than black but safer to use on grass over extended use.
- Translucent - They are the best and most advanced mat.
What Size Mat Do I Need?Mat size depends entirely on the type of traffic on the mat. Every size of AlternaMAT and VersaMAT have been tested to the same weight and load capacities. The following will assist you in choosing the right size matting for your application, although should be used only as a guide;
- 4x8' Mats have the broadest use range and are used for anything from large construction equipment traffic to pedestrian foot traffic.
- 3x8' Mats are desirable when price, weight and space is a consideration. Although this size mat is more restrictive with regards to maneuvering, it is rated for the same weight capacity as the 4x8’ and can take most all the same equipment traffic that the 4x8’ can. The exception would be, very heavy equipment over soft surfaces.
- Smaller mat sizes are typically used for residential use.
For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
Customers Who Viewed This Page Also Viewed
Q & A
- Not in the long run. You may get one or two uses from plywood before it is no longer usable. AlturnaMATS and VersaMATS will not wear out, warp when wet, crack or break. AlturnaMATS are a one-time investment with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Manufacture defects and cracks and breaks caused by normal use. Punctures are not covered. Abuse is not covered. The mats are plastic so they can be damaged. Steel tracks will chew through plastic and therefore cannot be covered.
- Typically, customers do not link them. If they are used in a “typical” usage scenario where there’s flat and a fairly firm subsurface, it is not necessary to link them. Some contractors also decide to overlap them.On inclines, it is always best to use single or double turn-a-link connectors.
- Not at all! There is a UV stabilizer added to white and clear mats. The black mats are naturally UV resistant. You can store the ground mats outside in the summer or winter. Heat and cold will not damage AlturnaMATS.